The goal of surveys are to locate target swallow species and their nesting and roosting sites. Surveys will focus on suitable protected and non-protected habitats, with one survey being conducted per area during the breeding season, preferable between June and July.
Methods and field data sheets for completing surveys can be found below.
- Swallow and Nest Site Detection Survey Methods
- Swallow Detection Field Data Sheet
- Swallow Detection Code Sheet
- Swallow Nest Site Detection Field Data Sheet
- Swallow Nest Site Detection Code Sheet
Data entry can be completed online or through the Excel spreadsheets found below. Using the Excel spreadsheet permits the entry of multiple swallow or nest observations on separate rows in one file for each field survey.
- Online Swallow Detection Data Entry Sheet
- Online Swallow Nest Site Detection Data Entry Sheet
- Swallow Detection Data Entry Spreadsheet
- Swallow Nest Site Detection Data Entry SpreadSheet
Examples of a completed nest site detection field data sheet and associated data entry spread sheet are provided below, in addition to an example of a map used to document survey effort and a question and answer document for swallow surveys.
Methods for surveying Bank Swallow colonies:
- 2017 Bank Swallow Survey Methods, Sacramento Feather Rivers, California
- Bird Studies Canada – Ontario Bank Swallow Project
- 1998 Inventory Methods for Swallows and Swifts, Province of BC