The goal of describing swallow nest characteristics and monitoring nesting activity is to collect data on nest site selection and breeding success of swallows to further our understanding of the factors that lead to swallows breeding in particular locations and to track the timing and productivity of breeding activities.
Methods and field data sheets for describing and monitoring nests are included below.
- Barn Swallow Nest Monitoring Methods
- Swallow Nest Description Field Data Sheet
- Swallow Nest Description Code Sheet
- Swallow Nest Monitoring Field Data Sheet
- Swallow Nest Monitoring Code Sheet
- Swallow Nest Monitoring Summary Code Sheet
Data entry can be completed online or through the Excel spreadsheets found below. Using the Excel spreadsheets permits the entry of data on the description of multiple nests at one site or monitoring results for one nest overtime in one file on separate rows.
- Online Barn Swallow Nest Description Data Entry Sheet
- Online Barn Swallow Nest Monitoring Data Entry Sheet
- Online Barn Swallow Nest Monitoring Summary Data Entry Sheet
- Swallow Nest Description Data Entry Spreadsheet
- Swallow Nest Monitoring Data Entry Spreadsheet
- Swallow Nest Summary Data Entry Spreadsheet